Video has topped digital content in recent years, with the proliferation of smartphones equipped with cameras, video editing tools, as well as video publishing platforms and social networks, video has become the most consumed content, it is enough to know that internet pioneers watch a million minutes of videos every second, while Facebook leaders watch 8 billion videos daily. It is expected that this wave will continue in the coming years, as some studies estimate that the video will constitute 82% of the content uploaded on the Internet by 2022 .Whether you want to create a YouTube channel, gain more followers on social networks, or market your products, video design is an essential and useful skill. In this article, we will review the steps for designing a professional video that achieves many views.
There are many uses for video, including but not limited to:
- Marketing: There is an entire branch of marketing that depends on video as a marketing channel, and it is called video marketing, which has gained great popularity in recent years, as about 81% of projects use video marketing to promote their products and attract new customers, and a quarter of companies publish at least one video every week . Statistics also indicate that including a video on the landing page of your project can raise the conversion rate by about 80% , so there is no crime that companies have become investing heavily in video in recent years.
- SEO : SEO or search engine optimization, is a set of rules that seek to improve the ranking site in search results pages. Statistics prove that professional video design is one of the most important rules of modern SEO, as pages containing a video have a 53 times greater chance of reaching the first page of search results than other sites .
- Attracting visits: If you have a website or blog, the best way to attract more visits is to design a professional, useful and fun video, as the video increases customer attraction by about 300%, and website visitors keep 2.6 times more videos than others.
- Education: People remember 95% of the information they see in a video, compared to only 5% when reading written content. So if you own a blog, or publish educational content, designing one video tutorial for your followers can be more beneficial than writing 10 topics or articles.
- Attracting followers on social networks: Social media pioneers prefer to watch video over other types of content. Posts and posts containing videos get 48% more follow-up, and 12 times more posts compared to others .
There are many other uses for video. The design of a video is undoubtedly a profitable investment, but it requires mastering a lot of skills and knowledge, which may be difficult for non-professionals to know all of them, and it takes a lot of time, as it is estimated that a professional designer needs 12 hours to design a long-term animation. Just one minute . If you don’t have the time, one of the best options out there is to hire a professional to design your video. The best place to do this is the microservices platform Fives, which lets you purchase video design services for amounts starting at just $ 5.Video creation steps:
Planning for the video
The first step in the video design process is creating an outline for the video. Here are some key elements to keep in mind as you prepare your video design plan.1 – Determine the goal of creating the video:Should you define your goal in video design, do you want to market your products? Or do you want awareness of your brand? Or do you want to attract more followers on social networks? Or do you want to design a video for publishing it on YouTube? Or do you want to create an educational video? The answer to this question will help you in the next steps.2 – Determine the topic of the video:After identifying the goal of the video, you will have to select a topic that aligns with that goal. For example, if the goal is to market a product, then the subject of the video may be an educational video explaining how to use that product, an advertising video, or a case study explaining some of its uses. If the purpose of the video is to be posted on YouTube, then you will have to choose the topic (s) that suit your subscribers and target audience on YouTube.3 – Defining the target audience:When designing a video, you’ll likely have a specific audience in mind that you want to target. There is a lot of information that must be specified when choosing a target audience, for example:
- Demographic category : You should specify the target demographic segment, because video directed at youth differs from videos directed at adults, and videos directed exclusively to women may not suit men. It is also important to take into account the culture of the target audience, so the last thing you want is that the video content is provocative to viewers.
- Target device : Sometimes it may target users of a specific device, such as phone users. If this is the case, you must take into account the specifics of the target device, for example, phone users prefer to watch videos in portrait mode, so you should take these matters into account if you want to design a professional and distinctive video.
- Publishing platform : If you want to target users of a particular social network, you should take this into account, for example, some social networks display videos without sound, so if you plan to design a video to be published on these platforms, then you should assume that many will watch it without sound.
- User language : The video should speak in the language of the people you target, you should study the target segment, and try to determine the most appropriate language for them, for example, if you are targeting residents of a specific Arab country, it may be better for the video to speak in the dialect of that country, except for the texts in the video. It is always preferable to be in Standard Arabic, because people are used to reading the contents written in Standard Arabic. As for if you target people from many Arab countries, then Fusha may be better, because it is understood by all Arabs.
4 – Select the type of video:When designing a video, you’ll have to choose the type that works best for your target audience and achieves the goals you set earlier.There are several types of videos, including:
- Live or live videos : This type of video has become very popular in recent years, especially on social media platforms, as well as on YouTube. Unlike all other types of video, this one lets you interact live with viewers through comments. This type of video does not need to be designed or edited, but some social platforms allow the possibility of using augmented reality (AR) to instantly edit the video and add some visual effects.
- Screencasting : In this type of video, you record your computer screen during a certain period of time through specialized programs. This type is suitable for educational lessons related to computer and programming. The advantage of this type of video is that it does not require any equipment, except for a microphone, if you will be speaking during the recording.
- Camera recording : With the proliferation of smartphones with a camera, recording high-quality videos has become affordable for everyone. Many video editing programs have also appeared that work on smartphones, so you no longer need a professional camera to shoot videos, as you can shoot, record and edit on the phone.
- Animation : Animation, or animation, is the most popular type of video, these videos consist of sequential images that give the impression of movement, this type is used by marketers a lot, and it is suitable for all age groups. One of the most famous brands that use animation to promote their products is the Red Bull Company, which is known for the “Red Bull Gives You Wings” ad series, so who among us has not seen at least one advertisement in this series.
- Infographic videos: A video can be designed to turn data into engaging and engaging interactive stories. This genre mixes text, numbers, graphics, and other visual elements. Video design of this type can make data easier to understand, even for non-professionals, and is usually used by charitable organizations to shed light on a particular phenomenon.
- Handcraft animation : If you want to take advantage of the power of the computer, but at the same time you want to give the video a human touch, the best solution is to design a manual video, this type of video simulates a human hand, where shapes are drawn, and texts are written on Screen by hand. This type of video is often used to explain concepts and ideas.
Of course, there are many other techniques for creating a video, you don’t have to stick to a specific genre, be creative, and create your own.
Video script writing:
One of the biggest challenges in designing a video is transforming the ideas and messages they aim to deliver to the viewer into a script that tells a coherent, fun, and woven story that captures the viewer’s interest.Screenwriting methods vary from person to person, but they are generally divided into four stages
- Idea generation : In this stage, you should generate as many ideas as possible related to the topic and goals of the video. You can run this stage on your own, or with a group. It is also a good idea to use a brainstorming technique that helps generate sub ideas.
- Gather the ideas you generated into a list, and write them down on a piece of paper, a board, or a text file. And if multiple people are working on the script, make sure everyone gets a copy of it.
- Arrangement and filtering of ideas : In this stage, the ideas are random and incoherent, so you have to imagine a logical arrangement of these ideas, so that they gradually turn into an understandable and interconnected story. Try to convert ideas into paragraphs of text. If your script contains dialogues, you can now start writing the dialogue. This stage is not linear, meaning that you will be constantly adjusting to the content you write. You will delete some things, and add others until you reach an initial formula that conveys the message you want to deliver and achieves the goals you seek from the video.
- Sketches: After arranging and coordinating ideas, some video designers prefer to convert them into sketches, which are simple drawings that help visualize the video’s scenes and organize its paragraphs.
After you have written the script for your video, you can now start editing or recording it.Here are some tips that will be useful in shooting a video with the camera, or designing an animation video:
- Camera : The camera should be of high quality, allowing to record videos in HD quality at least, you do not have to buy a camera specifically for photography, if you have a modern smartphone, it is likely that it has a high-quality camera.
- Preparing the background : The background should be appropriate to the nature of the video, try to use colors that suit the video content and do not interfere with it.
- Lighting : Lighting is very important for a professional video design, the lighting should be adequate, not too strong and bright, nor weak and dark. It is also important to have more than one source of light, so that all parts of the image have the same brightness.
- Voice recording: The sound is one of the most important elements of the success of the video, so how many videos succeeded only because of the quality of the sound. If the video is accompanied by a comment, then the comment should be appropriate to the content of the video, in terms of tone, strength, accent and manner of speech. The sound should also be clear and silent, and there should be no discrepancy between the sound and the picture. If you need sound effects in the video, there are a large number of free tools on the Internet that offer all kinds of effects, such as audiomicro , zapsplat , soundbible, and others.
- Keep the video brief: the video should preferably not exceed two minutes, as statistics indicate that videos less than two minutes get more interaction from viewers, as compared to longer videos .
- Do not rely on audio : Many social media platforms play video without sound. On the Facebook platform, for example, 85% of the videos are watched without sound. So you should not rely on sound to deliver the video message, and always assume that people will watch the video without sound .
- Take care of the introduction of the video : the introduction is the most important part of the video, and if it is not good, people will not finish watching the video, so you have to make sure that the introduction is interesting, and that you convey the basic message of the video in the first seconds of it.
After you have finished designing a professional video that communicates the message you want to spread and achieves the goals that you seek from it, it is time to publish and promote the video.You have to take advantage of all the publishing channels available to you, and the first channel you should start with is YouTube, the largest video platform on the Internet, and the second most visited site after Google. It is visited by two billion registered people every month, who watch more than a billion hours of videos . Do not be satisfied with the YouTube platform, and post the video on all available platforms, if you have accounts in social networks, such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Snapchat, then post the video there. If you have a website or blog, post the video on it. You can also send the video in e-mail messages to registered members of the mailing list, as adding a video to e-mail messages can increase the open rate of messages by about 300% .